Effective Date: May 25, 2018
This Privacy Notice applies to the California Institute of Technology Center for Technology and Management Education (CTME). This Privacy Notice explains our general privacy practices about the collection, use, and disclosure of user information regarding CTME events, courses, and conferences. Certain Caltech websites and departments may have their own privacy notices and visitors to such sites should review the applicable privacy notice.
Collection of Personal Information
We collect various types of Information through our website when you express interest in our services, through our applications, via email, the phone, in person, and where print materials and digital technology may be used to collect Information from you. Some Information is collected automatically through various web and Internet technologies. Other Information is collected when you provide it in response to an advertisement, a survey or a request for information; register for courses; order educational or other products and services; set up a profile; or use one of our resources, learning assessments or other interactive tools.
The Personal Information that may be collected, includes but is not limited to:
- Contact information, such as name, unique id, email or mailing addresses, and phone or fax numbers;
- Information regarding your affiliation with Caltech, such as class year or degree major;
- Information regarding your organization affiliation and the organization’s address;
- Information regarding where the user is travelling from to attend a CTME event, course, or conference;
- Accommodation information, such as accessibility needs;
- Employment information, such as company name or job title;
- Payment information, such as credit card information;
Purpose for which Personal Information is Collected and Processed
We may collect, use and disclose Personal Information for the following purposes:
- To register you for your selected educational programs
- To contact you regarding your status and respond to your inquiries and provide customer support
- To provide requested products and services
- For our internal marketing purposes, which include, but are not limited to, sending you material about products,
- services, and updates that we think may be of interest to you
- For sharing with our education partners or business associates who are performing services on our behalf
- To analyze how our products and services are being accessed and used
- For cybersecurity
- To test, correct and improve our content, applications and services
- To develop new applications, products and services
- To prevent potentially illegal activities and to investigate suspicious information that denotes illegal activity
- To obtain payment for services that we provide to you
- To maintain educational and business records according to our records retention program
- As may be required or permitted by legal, regulatory, industry self-regulatory, insurance, audit or security requirements
Recipients of Your Personal Information
For the purposes referred to in this Privacy Notice and relying on the bases for processing as set out above, we may share your Personal Information with certain third parties, such as our education partner or business associates, in order to carry out a contract or meet legal or regulatory obligations.
Users Located in the European Economic Area
If you reside within the European Union or the European Economic Area (consisting of the European Union, Iceland, Lichtenstein, and Norway), the following is additional information regarding rights and protections that apply to you under the General Data Protection Regulation.
This Notice applies to the California Institute of Technology’s Center for Technology and Management Education (CTME) collection, use, retention, and processing of personal information regarding events, courses, and conferences for individuals located in the European Union (EU) or the European Economic Area (EEA) (consisting of the European Union, Iceland, Lichtenstein, and Norway) at the time of the collection of Personal Information. Personal information is any information that identifies or can be used to identify an individual (Personal Information).
The law sets forth a framework for various individual rights on how Personal Information can be used, processed, transmitted, and protected. CTME is committed to taking reasonably necessary steps to ensure that your Personal Information is protected consistent with GDPR requirements. If you want more in depth detail about the GDPR, you can read the full text of the EU legislation.
The legal basis for collecting and processing your information varies based on the circumstances. It is necessary for us to use your Personal Information to interact with in connection with your enrollment and participation in events, courses and conferences, including sending you information, answering your questions, addressing any concerns or feedback you may have, and facilitating any other purpose for which you provide us with your Personal Information. We may use your Personal Information because it is necessary for us to perform or facilitate a contract, to carry out our legitimate interests, to enforce our legal rights or comply with our legal obligations, and where it is necessary for emergency medical purposes and otherwise protecting your or another person’s vital interests. We may also elect to obtain your consent as an additional lawful basis for collecting Personal Information.
Recipients of Your Personal Information
For the purposes referred to in this Notice and relying on the bases for processing as set out above, we may share your Personal Information with certain third parties, such as to meet legal or regulatory obligations.
Data that you provide to us may be transferred to and stored at a destination outside the EU or the EEA. For instance, this happens when it is processed or maintained by staff and/or systems operating in the United States. The information that you provide to us is stored on our secure servers or those of our service providers. We will take reasonable necessary steps to safeguard your Personal Information securely.
We will retain your Personal Information for as long as necessary to meet the uses described above and in compliance with legal and business document retention requirements and policies.
Individuals located in the EU or EEA are provided with the following rights:
- The right to be informed about the collection and use of your Personal Information;
- The right to object to the processing of your Personal Information;
- The right to rectification of any of your Personal Information that is inaccurate or incomplete;
- The right to request the deletion of your Personal Information;
- The right to restrict or limit the ways in which we process your Personal Information;
- The right to transfer or obtain a copy of your Personal Information in an easily accessible format;
- The right to withdraw consent;
- The right to withhold consent to automated individual decision-making processes; and
- The right to complain to a supervisory authority.
Please note that the above rights are not absolute. CTME may be entitled to reject requests where certain exceptions apply. To submit a request, please contact Caltech’s Privacy Manager, Tye Welch, by phone at 626.395.8633 or via email at email@example.com.
If you have questions about this privacy notice or any other aspect of your privacy and the security of your Personal Information, please contact our Privacy Manager at:
Director of Compliance
1200 E California Blvd
Pasadena CA 91125
A cookie is a small file which asks permission to be placed on your computer's hard drive. Once you agree, the file is added and the cookie helps analyse web traffic or lets you know when you visit a particular site. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. The web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences.
We use traffic log cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyse data about web page traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it to customer needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes and then the data is removed from the system.
Overall, cookies help us provide you with a better website, by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us. You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of the website.
Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
Controlling your personal information
You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information in the following ways:
- whenever you are asked to fill in a form on the website, look for the box that you can click to indicate that you do not want the information to be used by anybody for direct marketing purposes
- if you have previously agreed to us using your personal information for direct marketing purposes, you may change your mind at any time by letting us know using our Contact Us information
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law to do so. We may use your personal information to send you promotional information about third parties which we think you may find interesting if you tell us that you wish this to happen.
You may request details of personal information which we hold about you under the Data Protection Act 1998. A small fee will be payable. If you would like a copy of the information held on you please email us this request using our Contact Us information.
If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please write to or email us as soon as possible, at the above address. We will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect.
List of cookies we collect
The table below lists the cookies we collect and what information they store.
|FORM_KEY||Stores randomly generated key used to prevent forged requests.|
|PHPSESSID||Your session ID on the server.|
|GUEST-VIEW||Allows guests to view and edit their orders.|
|PERSISTENT_SHOPPING_CART||A link to information about your cart and viewing history, if you have asked for this.|
|STF||Information on products you have emailed to friends.|
|STORE||The store view or language you have selected.|
|MAGE-CACHE-SESSID||Facilitates caching of content on the browser to make pages load faster.|
|MAGE-CACHE-STORAGE||Facilitates caching of content on the browser to make pages load faster.|
|MAGE-CACHE-STORAGE-SECTION-INVALIDATION||Facilitates caching of content on the browser to make pages load faster.|
|MAGE-CACHE-TIMEOUT||Facilitates caching of content on the browser to make pages load faster.|
|SECTION-DATA-IDS||Facilitates caching of content on the browser to make pages load faster.|
|PRIVATE_CONTENT_VERSION||Facilitates caching of content on the browser to make pages load faster.|
|X-MAGENTO-VARY||Facilitates caching of content on the server to make pages load faster.|
|MAGE-TRANSLATION-FILE-VERSION||Facilitates translation of content to other languages.|
|MAGE-TRANSLATION-STORAGE||Facilitates translation of content to other languages.|