TU Wien Systems Engineering
Unleash your engineering potential in our two-week Systems Engineering executive MBA-level program. Master systems thinking, robust system architectures, and product development strategies. Experience hands-on learning through lab visits and lectures on autonomous systems, agility, and robotics. Transform your complex product engineering and drive innovation in your organization. Apply now!
Systems Engineering is a two-week executive MBA-level program designed to provide business leaders with the knowledge, tools, and strategies necessary to apply systems thinking to product development. This immersive course focuses on practical methods and tools for eliciting user needs and requirements, defining robust system architectures and designs, and effectively verifying and validating that the product works as intended. The course covers current industry best practices to ensure robust, cost-effective designs that meet stringent functional, performance, and cost requirements. Participants will learn from lab visits and lectures on autonomous systems, agility, resilience, and robotics.
This exclusive program welcomes select participants from both the US and international locations. Additionally, it serves as an integral component of the annual Executive MBA course in Engineering Management at the Vienna University of Technology. Throughout the two-week course, attendees will experience a unique blend of perspectives as participants from TU Wien's visiting program at Caltech collaborate and engage in immersive learning.
After positive completion of the module, students are able to:
- Explore systems thinking/systems engineering state-of-the-art and life-cycle challenges
- Analyze stakeholder needs and develop clearly stated requirements
- Conduct mission analysis and articulate a Concept of Operations
- Assess requirements through Context Diagrams, System Boundary Diagrams, Functional Block Diagrams (FFBD), and Design Structure Matrices (DSM)
- Architect systems, sub-systems, interfaces and interactions, hierarchies and hand-offs
- Assess the maturity of technologies and interfaces between technologies
- Evolve innovative design approaches for performance and trade-offs while managing change
- Engineer for specialized outcomes such as Design for Manufacturing, Design-to-Cost, Maintainability and Usability
- Define cost-effective verification and validation strategies
- Effectively support overall program cost, schedule and risk management
- Differentiate between agile frameworks such as Scrum, Extreme Programming (XP), and Lean, and select the most appropriate for a project
- Examine Model-Based Systems Engineering (MBSE) methods and approaches using SysML.
In the module, the following topics will be covered:
- Systems Thinking
- Systems Engineering Roles
- Systems Engineering Vee and Diamond
- Stakeholder Needs Analysis
- Functional Analysis
- Defining System Requirements
- System Specifications
- System Architecture
- Design and Integration
- Decision Analysis
- Verification and Validation
- Engineering Specialties
- Agile Frameworks
- Systems Engineering Role in Program Management
- Risk Management
- Model-Based Systems Engineering
This two-week intensive public program is held over September 30–October 11, 2024. Attendance over both weeks is required.
We're excited to announce that this course will be open for applications in July 2024. Please check back then to apply and embark on your educational journey with Caltech CTME and the Vienna University of Technology (TU Wien).
Who Should Attend
The Systems Engineering specialization program is ideal for:
- C-suite executives, directors, and senior managers seeking to drive innovation and harness advanced technologies in their organizations
- Technology and innovation professionals looking to expand their knowledge and stay current with cutting-edge developments
- Entrepreneurs and startup founders aiming to leverage emerging technologies for business growth and competitive advantage
- Product managers, R&D specialists, and engineers working on technology-driven projects or products
- Industry consultants and advisors who want to better guide their clients in navigating the rapidly evolving technological landscape
Join our program and equip yourself with the skills and insights needed to thrive in today's dynamic world of technology and innovation.